Gmail Messages Are Missing – What Should I Do?
Following steps can help you find your emails if:
- Some e-mails are missing.
- Emails aren’t coming to your Gmail inbox.
- Your Gmail inbox is empty and all your e-mails have disappeared.
You can try these common solutions
We recommend following these steps on a PC because many of them can’t be done through the Gmail app.
Check if the email was archived, deleted, or marked as spam
Emails might skip your Gmail inbox if they were accidentally archived, deleted, or marked as spam.
Follow these steps to search all your mails, including those that aren’t in your Gmail inbox:
- On your PC, open Google email.
- In the email search box, click the down arrow tab.
- Now click the All Mail drop down button, then select Mail & Spam & Trash tab.
- Enter some information that’s in the missing mail. If you’re not sure about exact content or details, leave the fields blank.
- At the bottom of the box, click Search option.
Tip: To filter your mail search results even more, you can also use some search operators.
How to check if the email was filtered?
You may have applied a filter that automatically archives or deletes certain emails in Gmail inbox.
Here’s how to check your Gmail filters:
- Sign in Gmail.
- In the top right corner of Gmail, click Settings (gear icon) > Settings.
- Click the “Filters and Blocked Addresses” tab.
- Check for filters that include the words “Delete it” or “Skip Gmail Inbox”.
- To the right of the page, click Edit or Delete tab.
- Now follow the “on-screen” instructions.
Check if your mails are being forwarded to another email account
When you set up forwarding option in Gmail, you can choose whether the original mails are archived or deleted.
Here’s how to check your email forwarding settings:
- Sign in Gmail.
- In the top right of Gmail page, click Settings (gear icon) > Settings tab.
- At the top f page, click to go the “Forwarding and POP/IMAP” tab.
- In the “Forwarding” section, check if you are using email forwarding option. If you have, select Keep Gmail’s copy in the Gmail Inbox or “Mark Gmail’s copy as read”.
- At the bottom of the email page, click Save Changes button.
Important: If your mails are being forwarded to an unknown email address, click to select Disable forwarding then check out the Google email security tips. If you see a forwarding email address you don’t know, someone might have unauthorized access to your Gmail account. For further Gmail customer service Dial 1(505) 384-8224